Thursday, September 22, 2011

Virgin of Vladimir

This piece "Virgin of Vladimir" really caught my eye. I love how the background is bright oranges and some yellows, as where the center focus of the painting is in dark tones like blacks and browns. I also like the authenticity of this piece. The chips and empty gaps of missing paint, I love it! 

Another reason this painting caught my eye was that Mary and Jesus is very iconic and I recognized right away. 
I really enjoy seeing a mother and child in a innocent, intimate moment in time. They are looking at each other and having that mother and child connection, it's just so beautiful to see in in early christian art.


There is also a lot of detail in the clothing that Mary and Jesus are wearing. You can see the possible beading and patterns on Mary's sleeves. The value from dark to like with just lines in Jesus garment. There is just so much detail for such a simple piece. 








Virgin of Vladimir 11th-12th century
Tempera Panel 31" 
Tretyakov Gallery Moscow 

5 comments:

  1. I really love the colors of this piece too, and the rustic texture it has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how there can be so much detail in such a simple piece. It amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this simple piece. It shows a real paradigm shift in how people believed Jesus and his mother interacted. It makes them both real personalities rather than icons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with joyce. I love how Jesus and His mother are interacting. Before this piece there is a stiffness to other simular pieces. Also the colors are so rich and vibrent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way Jesus is portrayed as real child makes you wonder how he was as a child growing up. We know that Mary and Joseph had other children but did Mary favor Jesus over her other children.

    ReplyDelete